Sunday, March 7, 2010

2002 Volvo S40 oil cooler leak rare

I walked out to my car one day and noticed a white oily substance on the driveway. I feared the worst.  I opened my hood and noticed my coolant reservoir full of white stuff. I cracked it open and a little more came out.

I first think oh crap, I have a crack or something in my engine block or head that has allowed coolant into my engine oil. I take off the oil cap and turn it over and holy moley it's white. I'm doomed now right?  I take a deep breath and decide to really look over the situation.

Stained paint all around the reservior from the oil and coolant cream sitting on the inner frame of the car all night. Could it be anything else. I just changed the thermostat last month.

Dealer says, never heard of this. Volvo forums, can't find this problem anywhere.

Okay, so hey I'll do first things first. I'll clean out the oil and sludge and coolant. I flush the radiotor about fifteen times (really), the engine block about ten times (really) and the reservoir about forty times (really). Basically here are the steps

1. Change oil and filter, to get white crap out. (I only did this once and then a second time later, read on)  I keep checking the dipstick and oil cap periodically.

2. Took out the thermostat so that I could get water flow through the engine. I did this after getting the initial crap out of the system. The thermostat helps to heat up the engine to loosen the crap.

3. I fed the reservoir hose water while slightly cracking the radiotor drain plug. This helped me overflow the reservoir so oil/coolant would come out the top and so the radiator would get some flushing too.

4. I unscrewed the drain bolt near the rear of the engine facing the firewall. This is to drain some crap from the block.

5. Also, I put everything back (except thermostat) tight and pulled out little red air screw on radiator hole and watch tons of crap come out of that for over 3-5 minutes.

6. I play games like leave the heater on full blast and run the hose out of the reservoir when the engine is warmer.

(i will get crap from car people about this, but I even used a commercial grease cutting all purpose cleaner, which help tremendously inside the engine cooling system.)


I repeated the steps above (except oil change) often. I'd drive the car up the street and back and do it again.

Morning, noon, and night I would do it. Quick errand to a store, come back do it. You get the point.

Finally when only water was coming out of my cooling system, nice clean water no more oil floating around, I decided it was time to fill the car with coolant, distilled water and change the oil and filter one more time to get anything out.

NOTE: Engine always ran, and runs great. No sluggish feeling etc. This is what made it tough to think it was an engine head gasket leak or anything else. So I ruled this out temporarily. 

Well geez, no water buildup in my engine through all that cleaning. Little drives to the store. 10 minute idle session. Great it must have been a fluke, just a one time thing. Right?
It must not be common I think to myself. No one else with the same problem.

So I'm driving the car daily for over a month checking the radiator cap every day. I'm getting used to my car again. One day, a month later I see white stuff on the ground, this time even more. I'm pissed off. All that work all that cleaning.

So I start the process again, determined to find where it's coming from no matter what. Then one day I wake up and have an epiphany, it's the oil cooler. Makes sense the water and oil meet here, it's outside the engine.

So I buy special tools and remove this thing. I look at it closely. Never been hit by anything. I look in it. Cant see anything it's too dark. So I pressure test it, checks out ok, but hey it should it's designed to flow not hold pressure. PICTURE BELOW show oil cooler with two black hoses going into it. I bought my tools at harbor freight. Need narrow shaft extensions otherwise you cant get the hex on there, because there is no clearance.



So I call the dealership. They want $250 for one. Now its worth it if it's the problem. But I don't know for sure. So I put it back on and clean out the system again. Not as good this time because I've lost some hope. But I watch the car closely for days. And yep it does it again but way less because I'm checking it very often. I did this to buy time. The recycler near my house wanted $230 for it used. So I waited until someone on Craigslist was posting an s40 for parts. Boom, got one for $60. Put it in, and have never had a problem since.  Cleaned up everything and back on the road.

SIDE NOTES: I had actually gone to the volvo recycler. new used engine was $800 bucks with 40K on the clock. Also, I did make a call to a local independent volvo dealer and he was telling me how the volvo engines with the way they form the blocks now using much better metals then they did 10 years ago, that the chance of the block cracking were far from non. Even with cold water from a hose running through it. He said, MAYBE if you were flooring it on the freeway, just go off, opened the hood and stuck cold water in the engine you could have a problem.

Thanks to that guy.

This is a rare leak hope it helps someone. If so say thanks. It's nice to hear.


8 comments:

  1. ok...i actually bought a new used volvo over this problem. mechanic called today and said oops it is oil coolant pump. Now he want to buy the car..not i will bring home and wait for an oil coolant pump deal and have put in. I wish I had found your post two weeks ago. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...i was told the head was cracked...never had any problem from this car. had just had struts put on and rotors..ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting. Have the same exact problem and am in the middle of flushing the coolant system right now. My very trustworthy volvo mechanic swore it was the head gasket, but I disagreed and asked him to look at something else because there was NO water in the engine. Just oil in the coolant. Plus the car runs absolutely perfect! He dismissed it and wouldn't even let me try to tell him why I thought this. You know where I'm going once this car is completely fixed... With an old leaking oil cooler :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my problem. Just couldn't figure out why it ran so good etc, but had a ridiculous amount of oil foam coming out the resivoir. I dropped it off to the mechanic (He is great but a little slow to get to it) and he said oil cooler or head gasket. I was so worried about the head gasket, but reading your post gave me some hope. It's exactly my problem and for a fraction of a head repair mine was done, system flushed etc, and now I am good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got an 2000 s40 with that problem some guy got it fix and still mixing so i changed a fu--ed up 1990 civic for it all electronic works the leather seat are like new it runs great but stills mixing... thanks for the info... it's that cause he gottied fixed like 2 moths ago and he got tired of it.. sk if it is that i change a piece of crap for a brand new car even do is a 2000... j hope thats yhe problem...

    ReplyDelete
  6. changing the oil filter tommorow after a pocket burning engine change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got a deal on my second S40 with this problem and for 45 dollars and 30 minutes of work got a great car for 300 , the only time consuming part is flushing out the oil out of the system , but its not really hard .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had overheating problem before even where the top radiator hose pops off and let's all the coolant pump out onto the street but never had the oil come up out of from where you put it in. It happened before I could get pulled over and now water in the oil won't start even with starting fluid spayed into where sparkplugs go. I knew it was bad when I took out sparkplug and it was dripping oil.

    ReplyDelete